Tuesday, October 7, 2014

How my past trials strengthened my relationship with Jesus Christ.

When Chris lost his job at IBM we went through a period of 2 1/2 years where he did not have a steady job with income enough to support us.  It was a difficult time for me with three young children.  Going to work didn't seem like the right thing to do.  We didn't have family around to watch the girls and thus would end up paying more for childcare than the income I would be able to provide.  I did do some substitute teaching which helped but there was a constant struggle to make ends meet.  We got into a lot of debt during this period of time.  It was a hard time for our family and on me personally.  I remember pleading with my Father in Heaven to help Chris find a job, I reached a point where I felt like I could not bear it a single day more.  And you know what?  The burden wasn't lifted.  It would be another 18 months before he would get a steady job.  And what did I learn from that?  I learned that the heartfelt prayers I gave during that period of time made me stronger.  I learned that the Holy Ghost does attend to us when we keep his commandments.  I learned that the more I prayed and studied the word of the Lord, the more I knew Him.  And those are blessings I am very grateful for.  Now when I look back on that time I remember a Darilyn that was strong.  More strong than I probably am now.  One thing the Lord taught me when I was going through that time in my life is that it was for a reason.  I am able to have compassion and empathy for others that are going through financial difficulties. I'm glad that I can offer that to others.  God is good.  He really is.

1 comment:

Rachel Bancroft said...

Love the part " I learned that the heartfelt prayers I gave during that period of time made me stronger." Good reminder that our burdens aren't always lifted but we can be strengthened. You're amazing!