Monday, January 3, 2011

My focus on forgiveness



Everyone is gone.  Well, almost everyone.  Makenzie is sick in bed but she is quiet so it feels like everyone is gone.  Ahhhh.....I love the sound of silence.  Not all the time, but in the mornings when everyone leaves for school or work I feel like the quiet refuels me for yet another day.

This morning, in the quiet of my home, I am thinking about what I want to focus on for this year, 2011.  I have a few things that have been on my mind lately, all involving the word, Forgive.  My husband I were having a conversation recently about forgiveness and about seeing the best in people.  I realized it's a hard thing for me, this forgiveness stuff and I want to be better at it.  Then yesterday, my good friend, Brenda, taught a lesson at church about not finding fault and not gossiping.  It was really well done and there were lots of insights. The word that kept popping into my head the whole hour was Forgive.  I felt like all the things that were being said went back to that word.  There is no better exemplar of this than our Savior, Jesus Christ.  So this year will be the year that I read and finish (this time) Jesus The Christ by Talmage.  It's been on my list of 50 things right from the first day I started creating that list.  And now almost 10 years have gone by and I have yet to cross that off my list. Why?  I know the reason, it's not a "fun" read. I like fun things.  I read about half of this book while serving my mission for the LDS church in Brazil.  I learned so much while reading it and vowed to finish it when I got home.  That never happened. This will be the year. 

I was recently inspired by this post over at my friend Emily's blog. Fear. It is what stops us from creating our best lives and being our best selves.  Our Father in Heaven created us to have Joy and meant for us to use our talents to bring happiness into the lives of others, including ourselves.  So I encourage you to take a look at your life and see what it is that is holding you back from doing something that you desire.  Is it fear?  If so, take the first step to eradicate this feeling so that you make 2011 your best year ever.  Seriously folks, read Emily's blog post about her 2010, it will inspire you.

I hope to revisit the word "Forgive" each month on my blog, it will be titled "Forgive & Live."  Here is to a prosperous, healthy and forgiving year!

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Forgiveness is something I need to work on more, too. Kinda sucks. But we all have our trials I guess. Wow, your friend Emily is a rock star for sure. That's so great that she took the risk and left fear behind. Wow, I have some definite things to learn from Emily. By the way, I read through your trip list. I hope you can find a way to make them all happen...because traveling is like one of the best things ever!!!

Candy said...

You last few posts have been very inspiring for me - forgiving was a big one for me this last year - and I too will miss Merilee; I was so impressed how you guys just took me in as a friend - I have always felt your love and genuine concern - I am glad I got to meet and be with you guys this last couple of years - thanks for being my friend and teaching me!

Amanda D said...

I've always wanted to read Jesus, the Christ too. Maybe this will be the year I get it done. It seems kind of overwhelming, but it would be great to get done. Good luck!