Sunday, January 23, 2011

I ♥ YouTube



I have wanted to learn how to crochet for years.  In fact, it's on my list of 50 things.  But it seems that no matter how much I have tried, i end up failing miserably.  I will do fine for a few moments and then have to have help of the person teaching me.  And then, just when I think i've "got it" I try to do it on my own and it ends up looking like something the cat got a hold of.  And it's not just once I have tried, I have tried several times.  I think I have had 4 lessons over the past five years or so.  

On Saturday I was perusing some magazines to get some ideas for Valentine's Day.  I came across some crochet hearts that I had seen before and loved so much I tore them out to save.  Oh, I really wanted to make those hearts, if only I knew how to crochet.  Darn that crocheting! 

But then I had a thought, I wonder if there is a "Crochet for Dummies" out there on the internet.  So I googled just that, "Crochet for Dummies" and it led me to a tutorial on YouTube by Bethintx1.  She is amazing.  It's like I have a new friend.  It's kind of weird that she doesn't know me because I feel like she knows me really well.  She is so sweet and patient with me!  I was so excited about the prospects that I grabbed a skein of yarn and my crochet hook, put my headphones on and sat transfixed as she taught me how to crochet.  And the beauty of it is that I can rewind as much as I want and to just the part I need to see again.  Nobody has to sit with me and explain it over and over and over again.  The first thing she has you make is a scarf.  And in making the scarf you do different types of stitches in hopes that by the time you are done you will have a good overall basic knowledge of crocheting.  I am loving it.  I would show you what I've done so far but I will save that for the when I am done. 

I may get #34 on my list crossed off after all!

6 comments:

Tonya said...

I would love to know how to crochet. Maybe once you've mastered the art you can teach me. I'll be looking forward to seeing your scarf:)

Candy said...

Isn't it fun when something from that silly piece of yearn turns into something amazing? Good for you to keep at it - I hope I get to see your scarf!

Candy said...

Oops! I meant yarn I should always proof my comments;)

Quinn said...

You tube is super cool. Niklas couldn't get the hang of his Heelys we took home from America, and we don't know anyone who has them here, so I learned how to Heel from You Tube. Keep up with the crocheting. It's worth it. My grandma taught me when I was ten and I like it much better than knitting. Hmm made me think - Tori is 12, note to self: teach her to crochet.

Krista Lou Cook said...

That's great! Now you can make super cute stuff and give it away to deserving sisters! :)

Melissa said...

Good for you! Can't wait to see your projects!