Thursday, December 2, 2010

Annie, Get Your Gun



ANNIE GET YOUR GUN


It's over. Whew. That was an experience that is difficult to put into words for me. The play was incredible to be sure. The comment from my non-member friend who came was that we could pick up our play and perform it at the Newmark Theater downtown today. We looked like professional actors. We had a lot of talent for sure. And the leading lady, Miss Ashley, was so amazing. I'm so proud of her. And I'm proud of myself for sticking it out. Many times in the past 10 years since we have lived here in Beaverton I have felt that I am underused and underappreciated for those things that I have to offer.  This was one of those times.  I also felt singled out because I was one of those few women who were a bit larger.  And that made me sad and gave me a complex about myself. It's my own fault for letting it get to me, I do know that.  A castmember in the play told me that I wasn't saying my one, 3-word line correctly. I played Queen Victoria. An older portly woman at the time of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.  I had to wonder if the director of our play really thought I was that old. The last two weeks of the play left me feeling very depressed.  It's been a feeling that has been hard for me to shake, even now that it's over. 

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry it was a difficult experience for you. I'm so jealous that you got to do something so fun together as a family. I have really enjoyed seeing any pictures from it. This is one of those times I really wish I lived closer!

Sabrina E. Ogden said...

There is a little theatre in Magna where I live and ever since you've mentioned performing in this play, I've had the "acting bug" - my singing days are over...but I think I could play a fun character or two. I'm super proud of you for participating and it brought back memories of the Stark family and their time together performing in productions in Coos Bay. The experience might have been difficult, but I know you've learned and grown so much just for being a part of it. If it makes you feel any better, when I was in girl scouts we did Cinderella. I don't remember the part I played, but I do remember I skipped over someone's line and they were mad at me for weeks. I swore I'd never do anything that would put me in the spotlight again. Sadly, I think I missed out on some really fun experiences. You did great! And you look absolutely beautful in that dress. Did you get to keep it?

Love you-Spree

Aundrea said...

I think it's awesome that you did that! I'm sorry I didn't get to see you perform in it...we had family in town.

I hope you get to feeling better about things...the words "screw you!" could be helpful in dealing with the other cast member:)

paula said...

It is called acting..I bet you were awesome. Don't let this get you down..YOUR ARE THE BEST..You have so many wonderful things to offer anyone. Shake it off and pull up those boot straps...

Rochelle said...

Hey, Darilyn, I love you! I love everything about you! I appreciate all of your witt and your talent in so many things. I am so proud of you. I wish I could have been there. I would have cheered for you, and cheered loud. I love that I feel love from you. I love that you try so hard to do your best and do so many things for your family. You are amazing! Don't give the advisary a moment of gratitude letting him think he has you feeling this way. I very rarely hear of you sad or bugged like this and it makes me feel sad for you. But Im here to tell you other wise you are the bomb in many things. Well and that I'll go kick their a#* if you want me to?
With Love
Rochelle

Tonya said...

Wow Darilyn, I just want you to know that I LOVE you. I LOVED how you pulled off your part. In fact, Rylie and Sophia just made up an impromtu skit yesterday with the words, "We are ammused" in the accent you used. It was memorable and HILARIOUS!!!