Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bathroom Preparedness



Several years ago I followed a friend into her garage to help her carry some things.  I was used to seeing Mormon garages filled with food storage but what I saw in her garage was astounding.  Hundreds of packages of toilet paper lined its walls.  Floor to ceiling in fact.  As I gazed at the white cushiony pillows I commented on the fact that she really had a lot of the stuff.  Then she shared with me that when she was young they were so destitute they had to use pages from the newspaper to wipe themselves.  I grimaced. Ouch, is what I thought.

" So I decided when I was very young that I would always have toilet paper for my family."

I'd say she was true to her word, becuase there was tons of it.  The funny thing was, at that particular time, her family was quite poor.  They had much assistance from others and were barely scraping by with their five children to feed and care for.  But they had toilet paper.

I often think of this story when I'm down to my last roll of toilet paper.  Today we have a half roll left in the whole house.  Which means I have to get some from the girls bathroom and take it with me into my bathroom or just use their bathroom.  What a nuisance.

I guess there is always newspaper.  

It's times like this that I wish I had that white wall in my garage.

2 comments:

Amanda D said...

I think if it was up to my husband we would buy more than one super sized case at Costco at a time. And we would buy another one when one was half empty.

Isn't it interesting how the things that happen to us shape our lives?

Quinn said...

Makes one think about a lot of things (aspects). Thanks for sharing.