I did it. I finished my 5K on Thanksgiving morning. It felt good, really good. I'm still in shock that I did as well as I did. I did stop to walk twice. Once at mile one for about 90 seconds and then again at mile two for again, 90 seconds. And that was it. I probably would have stopped again but when I had about a quarter mile left my brother in law, Ross, saw me and ran the rest of the way with me. That was a blessing because I was feeling so tired right then.
I thought I was the last runner to come in. There were walkers that beat me, a lot of them. But looking at the results there were ten more women in my age category that came in after me. I don't know where they were because nobody else was running anywhere near me. Walkers were passing me by. But I didn't care. I just wanted to run the whole thing. My Emma ran the whole thing and beat my time by 11 minutes. What a rock star she is. I'm proud of all my family. Even Makenzie said it was a fun way to start Thanksgiving, I about fell over with shock when she told me that.
So what's next? Not sure. I need to find a 5K to work towards in January I think. I need to keep going. When I crossed the finish line my good friend Julie said I could now cross this off my list. When I told her it wasn't on my list she said I should add it real quick! I laughed and then seriously thought about it! But what I do have down is running a 10 minute mile and doing the Fairbanks Midnight Sun Run. I will work towards both of those. It would be super cool if I could be ready to do the Midnight Sun Run this next summer.
We'll see. All i know is that today I got on the elyptical and did it for 30 minutes. Three months ago I couldn't even do 3 minutes on it.
Tonight on "The Biggest Loser" one of the finalists was wondering how she became a "runner" and wondering if she really was one, she had never seen herself as an athlete before. I wonder the same thing. Will I get to the point someday where I will say, "I'm a runner"? Not sure, but I do know that in the process I'm becoming more physically fit and being the kind of role model that I want to be for my family.
11 comments:
You inspire me!! Thanks for sharing this.
You are doing so awesome!!1
Wow! Way to go, D! That's so great. Let me know if you find a 5k for January - I wouldn't having the inspiration to work towards. Although I would probably walk not run. :)
Good job, Darilyn! And to think a few months ago at book club you were wondering what all the fuss with running was about:) I think whatever you're doing it just helps you to feel good about doing something healthy for yourself!
Let me know if you find a run to do in January. I want to do one! My knees have been bothering me lately, so I've been doing the eliptical and spinning...I don't even know if I can run anymore!
YAY! Congrats...I am so proud of you! Definitely get another goal on the books. That helps me bunches to have something to work for. Are you going to AK this summer? I want to run with you, but I don't think I am going home :( not this summer anyway. Great job again!
way to go!
Way to go Darilyn!! Congrats!! You should be so proud of yourself!
That is so awesome Darilyn! I still don't have confidence in myself that I could do that. Walk-Yes. Run- No. But you make me feel like maybe I really could. You are an inspiration!
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to join you next year! Seriously.
You are truly inspiring, my fiend!
Great Job Darilyn!! I am so proud of you and I sure hope you are proud of yourself what a great accomplishment!!! If you ever need a running buddy Im here :)
Wow, Darilyn! I'm so proud of you! You are so awesome! Makes me want to be better!
Post a Comment