Today was Emma's first Feis. A feis is an Irish Dance competition. Don't worry if you didn't know that it was called that because until a few months ago I didn't either.
I am so proud of Emma. My heart was leaping out of my chest with mama pride today. She danced beautifully and for only being with the Murray School since September she did incredibly well. Here are Emma's results.
Reel 4th place
Slip Jig 3rd Place
Reel Trophy dance 7th (out of about 20)
Poetry contests in the 10-14 year-old category 1st!!!!
Since this was her first feis she danced in the "First Feis" category for each of these dances. She will automatically move up to "Beginner" now. Now that she is in the Beginner category she will need a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place to move up to "Advanced Beginner". There are more levels afer that.
When I first read Emma's poem that she wrote for the Feis I was very moved. It is beautiful and she captured the emotion of the history of Irish Dance. So I wasn't surprised that she won 1st place for this. The guidelines for the poem were that it could be anything to do with Irish dance and it could not be more than 20 lines. Here is her poem:
Dance Partner
Step by step, beat by beat
Dance shoes dancing on the concrete.
A tin can waiting on the curb
This is what people heard.
A jumpy tune filling the air
Two young girls dancing there.
One was blonde, fast and short
She wore a white dress, a maid sort.
The other was brown, slow and tall
She wore a black gown from a horse’s stall.
Immediately you could tell they were shirking
When they were supposed to be working.
But alas, here they were
Dancing, dancing, eyes to her
They spun and laughed, happily together
Dancing partners, best friends forever.
They leaped and stepped, black shoes matching
Never did they miss one move dancing.
And by the end of day, when they finally bowed
The tin can was overfilling, with silver from their rounds.
14 comments:
WOW, that is pretty darn impressive!
That's great news! I'm very impressed with her poem!!
i had no idea that emma was taking irish dance...i love it!! how exciting for her. it sounds like it was fun to see
That is so impressive! I love her poem! Good job, Emma!
I love the poem. Congrads to Emma on moving up in her goals.
I love the poem. I might need to print that and post it in my dance room. Great job on the poem and dance success Emma!!!
So cool! She is cute in her costume and the poem is just great. Way to go Emma and way to go Darilyn for supporting your daughter and taking her to all her practices and the competition. There is always a lot more that happens behind the scenes than credit received for it. You probably deserve first place as well!
That is so cool! Way to go Emma!!
congrats Emma! That is so awesome! I didn't know anything about a Feis, glad I got to learn about something. She wrote a wonderful poem.
A good dancer AND a good poet.
What a beautiful poem. You have a talented daughter, both with dancing and writing. What the heck. All your daughters are talented! It must be the mom. :-)
She looks so cute in her outfit! Great job Emma!
I am totally impressed by her poem and how well she did at the competition. Very cool.
Wow, what a lucky mom you are. That is so great.
Post a Comment