Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Musings on Faith

Faith is an interesting topic. It can encompass all sorts of areas of your life. Like every part of it in fact. The past few days I've been questioning our decision to follow some advice of our Stake President. At our last stake conference we were admonished by our Stake President to go home and cut out whatever was not needful. To cut out those things that if Chris were to lose his job today we would cut out anyway. We sat down the very next day and figured out exactly what we could cut. We spent a good chunk of time comparing phone companies, internet and deals we could find. We finally decided that if we switched from Comcast to Verizon we could save about $40 a month. So we did it. That was on November 3rd. Since then to December 16th nobody with Verizon could call us. Then from December 16th to yesterday nobody with Comcast could call us. Then yesterday morning we woke up to find that we had no dial tone whatsoever. And that is just the problems with the phone. We have had problems also with our wireless internet. In fact, the problem with our internet Verizon has deemed unfixable by them. The next thing we can try is to by a new router, one that Verizon doesn't provide us and we have to spend $70 on this router.

I've been questioning our decision to switch companies. Why is it that we were trying to be faithful in following the advice of our leaders and then to have all of this headache and instead of it saving us money we are spending more?

It is because of faith. Faith is the knowlege of things hoped for but not seen which are true. I know that our stake president is a man of God. I know that by continued faithfulness that we will be blessed for our efforts. Not everything goes smoothly in life but if we continue a long a path that is marked with prayer and hope then we will see the good things in life.

And as frustrating as this has been, i'm grateful every day for the things that are a blessing in my life. Like cell phones. Its not like I dont have a phone. And for once I'm grateful for all my husband's computer equipment in the garage so that he could hook us up to the internet with a cable. And I'm grateful for Leon at Verizon. Even though I yelled (yes i yelled) during the message I left him he called me back anyway and has been dedicated to fixing this for us.

So think on Faith today my friends. Think about the things that you know are true that you can't see. I think you will find that there are a lot of things to be grateful for. I know I have.

10 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

Amen, Sistah!

Aundrea said...

At least you're looking on the bright side...you have a techie husband who can come to the rescue:) I hope your phone woes come to an end soon! Maybe they'll credit everything back to you for being out of a phone for more than a month!

And, you are willing to do it, because you were following counsel from your leaders, you will be blessed for it!

Chelle said...

I would love to hear that phone message, I can't imagine you yelling at a stranger!

Bridget said...

good attitude. My sister actually just did away with their home line and she and her husband just use their cell phones. My dad too. I think that would be very liberating.

Sarah said...

What a great post Darilyn!! Thanks for sharing that and for your testimony

Melissa-Mc said...

I love Pres. D! Sometimes we are blessed in other ways just by being obedient.

Quinn said...

Thanks for putting faith in a very real light. I love how you apply the principles in your life.

Anonymous said...

I love those thoughts! I am sorry about your phone service...that is so frustrating in this day and age. I hope it gets fixed FAST!!!

Elizabeth Dimit said...

That is so sweet and funny at the same time. I think Leon would be amazed to know he was in a commentary on faith. :-)

And I, too, am grateful for things I can't see...like wireless Internet!

Good for you for taking President Dalton's advice to heart! I know there are quite a few areas I could cut back on!

Tonya said...

You are awesome Darilyn. That was very well said! Thanks for sharing your testimony.