The big thing around our house lately is "what will I be for Halloween?" Heidi decided early on she wanted to be Princess Leia. How does she even know who Princess Leia is? I don't think she has watched the movies. She was too young when they came out. But it seems to be the thing to be this year. Emma says two girls in her class are also going to be Princess Leia. Leave it to Heidi to know what the "hip" costume is this year. We will be making our own princess Leia costume. Emma has been whining that I wouldn't buy her a pink cat costume at party city. Then when I pulled out the Halloween box with the decorations and she saw the purple witch cape, hat and broom she decided she would be a witch. She was the same thing last year so we decided she could be Hermione. I found this website that gives step by step instructions on doing a homemade Hermione costume. It looks doable. Then there is Makenzie. Her costume is such a big deal to her this year. Is it because she is 13? Someone told me that's what it was. I think a huge part of it is that she goes to an Arts school and EVERYONE dresses up on Halloween. I guess it's part of the whole creative mind thing but her school really gets into it. All the teachers dress up too. She did not want to "put something together" like I am doing for her younger sisters. She wanted a premade costume from party city. We went there a week ago and I couldn't believe the prices of their costumes not to mention that they all look slutty. When they say "adult" costumes I guess they aren't kidding. I took one look at those costumes and told her that she would end up wearing a shirt and leggings under those costumes just to keep her modest. We ended up leaving with no costume in hand. We went back tonight and she tried on two costumes. One of them ended up being okay. It's Venus the goddess of Beauty. She loves it. And it works because she got it big and it's not short in the front like this picture shows. It goes just below her knees. She paid for it with her own money and she is happy and I'm happy that she had decided on a costume and she won't ask me everyday if we can go look for one. What are your children going to be for Halloween?

16 comments:
Kas wants to be either an alien, or Jango Fett. Addie wants to be Cinderella, or any princess in a blue dress. Zo wants to be Super Princess Ariel Girl. Yes, she is very specific. I think I will go get their costumes while they are in school Wednesday so I don't have to deal w/ the craziness of having them in a costume place.
I want to be a wood nymph to go w/ my chopped hair. I'm more excited to put my costume together than my kids. We'll see if it happen.
I love hearing about your kids costumes, but what will you be?
Let's see how many moms we can get to dress up. We can post pics and have a mom costume contest. What do you think?
Halloween is so fun. My boys are going to army soldiers.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention what i'm going to be. I love to dress up on Halloween. I'm going to be a dead person this year. I saw this idea for a costume and I think it's going to be really cool. Your costume sounds great Elise. I want to see pictures.
My friend once asked me to make a pumpkin costume for her little baby (who was just about sitting up!). I'd never made one before (and without a pattern!) I couldn't believe how cute it turned out! Dressing-up the kids is hard work for us Mums (oops! Sorry Moms!)but it's so worth it to see the joy and excitement in their faces.
I found a sweatsuit with Thomas the Engine on it from JcPenny's for ten bucks so that is what Cole is going to be for Halloween. Serves many purposes.
Ethan don't know. Maren don't know. I'm a great mom huh? I really need to get on this before everthing sells out.
I agree with you though about Party City. We got the flyer in the mail and I was disgusted with all the whore like costumes.
Nyree, when are you going to get a blog? I want to hear all about your adorable children. You are a great 'mum'! And bridget, I LOVE it when you can find something they can continue wearing after Halloween. Makenzie was a red M&M when she was three. She wore that red sweatsuit for a year after.
Sidney is going to be a queen, thanks to my mom who bought her the costume for her birthday. Mason is going to be Elvis. Does anyone have a white jumpsuit in size 10? Boston is a 70's afro dude with bell bottoms and groovy glasses. I haven't completely formed my costume yet, but something with rats in my hair. Any ideas?
My kids also loved the party city flyer. No way, I'm too cheap for that. Very impressive that Makenzie bought her own costume.
My friend Katie (lives up in Oregon) always has the best costumes. she makes her own Halloween costumes and they are always great!I will post pictures of her costumes up on my blog so that you can see them. I have always had a hard time thinking of a Halloween costume for myself.
Merilee you could be dead too! Especially with rats in your hair. Maybe a zombie. I will do your make up for Halloween too! It was so fun doing my "dead" makeup last year.
Ian was going to be a BYU football player and I have the jersey but I couldn't find a helmet so he's going to be a lobster like Connor was his first Halloween and it's really cute. Connor is going to be Thomas the Train he got the costume from mom for his birthday and he also looks sooo cute in it!
0.
11.012151.2130. That was thanks to Bronson. Not sure what the kids are going to be yet. We'll probably try to recycle some of the old costumes.
My oldest is going to be a fireman. I found the jacket and hat at Kmart and am planning to put some yellow electric tape onto some old church pants so they will match the jacket. My DD is going to be a witch, and I am thrilled that she is not going to be a princess. =) My baby is going to be either Tigger or Bob the Builder. Whichever old costume fits.
My neice was Princess Leia a couple of years ago, and my sister took a styrofoam ball and cut it in half and glue braided yarn on to it, then glued the styrofoam to a headband so that she could have the same hairdo easily. It looked great! Good luck!
Oh Melissa, I wish I could see the boys at Halloween. They will be so cute. And Amanda- I love the princess Leia hair idea. Thank you. I was just thinking earlier that I didn't know what to do with Heidi's hair.
We are going with a circus theme...Ben is going to be a lion, Megan will be an elephant and I'm going to be the clown!
No kidding about the slutty costumes at party city! We went to the temp halloween store and I told Lauren the exact same thing. "You're gonna wear a shirt and leggings under that, so why don't we just make you a skirt out of black tulle to go with that instead." She is going to be The Fairy Of Death. Emma was set on either a werewolf? or Supergirl. I can't believe that we actually shelled out bucks for the costume. We got her the teen version because we couldn't find a kid size anywhere. It's too big, so we can sew it together, so her belly doesn't show. Which parents think it's ok for their teen to go out to strangers houses dressed like that?
Post a Comment